The Center for Disease Control and Prevention's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices provides annual guidelines on childhood immunization schedules, which outline recommended vaccines for infants, children, teenagers and adults. Immunizations schedules are designed to ensure that your children receive the protection they need from a number of potentially serious illnesses like hepatitis, measles, chicken pox and the flu. The schedule is revised every year as a general guideline for doctors and parents, but your child's own vaccination schedule and needs may vary according to their circumstances. Dr. Alan Sheen, an immunologist and allergist in Metairie and Covington, LA, recommends discussing childhood immunization at the child's first doctor's appointment.
Childhood Immunizations in Metairie and Covington, LA
The 2018 recommended immunization schedule for children includes:
- Hep A: 12 months - 23 months
- Hep B: Birth - 3 months; 6 months - 18 months
- RV: 2 months, 4 months, 6 months
- DTaP: 2 months, 4 months, 6 months; 15 - 18 months; 4 - 6 years
- Hib: 2 months, 4 months, 6 months; 12 - 15 months
- PCV13: 2 months, 4 months, 6 months; 12 - 15 months
- IPV: 2 months, 4 months; 6 - 18 months; 4 -6 years
- Influenza: Yearly starting at 6 months
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella): 12 - 15 months; 4 - 6 years
- Varicella: 12 - 15 months; 4 - 6 years
Many of the recommended vaccines in the immunization schedule provide an age range (12 - 15 months for example, or 4 - 6 years) when the vaccines can safely be administered depending on the child's circumstances.
Benefits of Childhood Immunizations
Having your child vaccinated is not only important for their own health and safety, they also help to protect members of your family and your community from communicable and potentially life threatening illnesses. On a practical level, childhood immunizations can also save your family time and money through missing work and school and paying for doctor's appointments and medication.
Find an Allergist and Immunologist in Metairie and Covington, LA
For more information about immunization schedules and allergy testing and treatment, contact our office to schedule an appointment with Dr. Sheen by calling (504) 456-1999 in Metairie or (985) 246-6077 in Covington.